Trent Alexander-Arnold’s injury is a ‘massive’ blow for Liverpool in the Premier League title race, Frank McAvennie has told Football Insider.
The lowdown
Jurgen Klopp revealed prior to Liverpool’s FA Cup clash with Nottingham Forest on Sunday that the 24-year-old was facing ‘weeks’ on the sidelines with a hamstring injury. He has started 26 of the Reds’ 29 matches Premier League matches up to this point.
The international break gives the Englishman more time to recover, but crucial games against Benfica (Champions League quarter-final) and title rivals Manchester City loom shortly after the season resumes in early April.
The latest
McAvennie said the timing of the injury – in the aftermath of the 2-0 win at Arsenal which saw The Reds close to within a point of City – is particularly cruel, fearing that Klopp’s side will suffer from the absence of the ‘amazing’ right-back.
The ex-Celtic striker reacted: “You’re joking? You can’t make that up, can you? Just as they get close to City, this happens.”
“That is a massive blow, he’s a key man for them. I’m a huge fan of his. Some of the things he does, just amazing.”
The verdict
Alexander-Arnold’s contribution to this Liverpool team is huge.
He has more Premier League assists than anybody else in the squad (11) and also creates three chances per game on average, compared to just 2.1 for nearest challenger Andrew Robertson (via WhoScored).
However, they have managed to cope fairly well whenever he has been missing in the past, winning five and drawing one, of the six Premier League and Champions League matches in which he hasn’t started so far this season.
Klopp will now look to Joe Gomez or James Milner to step up and deliver in the absence of the 23-year-old, with both having ample experience of operating at right-back.
In other news, Liverpool have made an unofficial bid for this forward